A New Headboard

Monday, April 18, 2011

I finally made the headboard for the guest room and I'm super duper happy with the results! It's been on my agenda for months but here's how it all finally went down.

I gathered up my supplies: plywood, foam, batting, fabric, and nail head trim. I also used spray adhesive and a staple gun. I looked up several different tutorials online and sort of combined all the different instructions.

First thing I did was stick the foam down with spray adhesive.

After the foam was down I started stapling the batting down. I forgot to get a good picture of the batting going down - too much fun with the staple gun I guess. But here's a little glimpse of how the back looked.

Next step is to get the fabric on. I had already ironed the fabric so it was nice and wrinkle free. I just made sure the material was lined up and stapled away. To make sure I didn't get any creases in the fabric I did one end, pulled the fabric tight and stapled the other end, then it was pretty easy to finish up the longer sides. I folded the corners like you'd fold the end of the present you're wrapping...and then stapled the crap out of 'em!

Turns out all of that was the easy part. The nail head trim was a pain in the rear! Thankfully, Loren helped me with that part because there's no way I would've finished with the tiny bit of patience I have. I had purchased a kit so we actually didn't have to hammer in every nail, it was sort of a ribbon of nail heads. See:

We measured how far in from the edge looked good to us and then just started making our way around the whole piece.

If you purchase some trim like this, be careful when you make any cuts. Loren got a little cut - I helped him out with a Disney Princess band-aid! :)

After a long time hunched over on the floor we finally finished! Ta-da!

To install the headboard we used this bracket from Ace Hardware. It seemed to just be called a "Picture Hanging System" but looked similar to something I had seen used online. Plus, it said it could hold up to 300 lbs. Seems safe to me. It seemed pretty easy to install (Loren's my installation guy). Hand one piece onto the wall, making sure you use a couple wall studs.

Then screw the other side of the bracket onto the headboard.

Now, we're totally done! Check it out!

I also put a new bed skirt on. One that wasn't purple. I'm digging the stripes. So, that's the saga of the headboard. I'm so pleased with the results. I'd love to hear your thoughts or see a link to a headboard you've made yourself. Or...maybe you've used the nail head trim on a totally different project? I'd like to see that too...I have a lot of extra! :)

**Please excuse the weird dots in the last couple pictures - it was night time and dark so a flash was necessary. I swear it's not snowing inside my house!


  1. Hey Kristen,
    I think your headboard looks wonderful! I would like to do something similar in my bedroom, my husband and I have been looking for some type of headboard and this looks like it could work. I have a question though, how did you decide how big to make it?

    Kim Metevier (Montague)

  2. that looks great!! I love that nailhead trim ribbon stuff!! Where do you find that? I have a project I have been dying to do; but I am not interested in hammering down a bazillion individual nail heads, while trying to keep them all in a straight line.

  3. That's amazing Kristen! I'm probably going to drag you across the Puget Sound to to work your crafty magic in our house!

  4. You should be a designer!

  5. I think uve done a fabulous job on the headboard! Mr. Romantic and i are currently working on a new upholstered headboard but ive decided to do a slipcover for it, so that i can take it off and throw it in the wash. Maybe i should post a few little snipits of whats goin on in our bedroom(somehow that didnt quite sound right, LOL)...........Bonnie


template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)