After that paint was dry, I put the doormat down and sprayed the white paint over top.
I think this where things went downhill. The doormat was much bigger than our wood pieces so it didn't create a good border and the white paint got underneath the mat. The lines were all fuzzy and in general, the look just didn't turn out as I had hoped it would.
Since plan A didn't work out, it was time to think about plan B. After pouting and thinking about it for awhile (and by awhile, I'd say it was about six months) I decided to try using an actually stencil. I repainted the all the boards a nice clean white and then got the stencil out. I just picked up the stencil at Michael's, it's nothing fancy or special ordered.
After the stencil was taped in place, I started painting. I used three different colors of cheapie acrylic craft paint and used a foam "brush". I don't seem to have a picture of the tool I used but it was more of a "dabber". It helped keep the paint from seeping under the circles on the stencil. I adjusted the stencil on each of the boards so all three are slightly different.
Once the painting was done I wrapped the edges in a brown satin ribbon using my hot glue gun (a little trick I learned from my sister-in-law). Then I was finally done, and it was time to hang them up.